TLA.co.uk landlords have reported a 58% increase in home energy usage by their tenants as well as significant increases in the levels of repairs and replacements for boilers. Energy usage is up as tenants locate at home during lockdown measures.
The COVID-19 pandemic is having a clear knock-on effect is that people are using more energy and at home.
Middle of the day energy usage is currently up 61% as a result of tenants basing themselves at home during the evolving pandemic places more regions into lockdown measures.
Gas and Boiler Issues in let property
- Landlords reported a rise (19%) during Q3, 2020 in boiler repairs with 24% of property requiring a repair on a gas boiler within their let properties. Furthermore, an increase from 4% to 11% compared with Q3 of 2019 required a replacement gas boiler during Q3 of 2020.
Types of Gas Boiler by replacement type
- Types of gas boilers by replacement type
- Combi – 61%
- Regular – 20%
- System – 19%
By regional breakdown
- The most boiler repairs were needed in London with 10.08% of boilers estimated to have broken down during this period. This was closely followed by the West Midlands at 8.04% and the North West at 8.59%.
- Boilers are least likely to break down in South West with 5.80%, Scotland at 5.76% and the North East at 5.55%.
- These results, at an average of 7.1% nationally, suggests 40,000+ boiler repairs were undertaken on property within portlofios managed by landlords under the guidance of The Landlord Association